Code is here.
In 1994 an American animated epic drama film known as The Lion King, produced and released by Walt Disney Pictures, hit the theaters. This film was produced in the era of Disney revival. The tale moves around the kingdom of lions in Africa and tells the story of Simba who is about to take place of his father, Mufasa, as a king. After his father’s assassination by his uncle Scar, Simba has to stop him from ruling the Prides Land and take revenge of his father. This movie is the 32nd animated feature in the Walt Disney Animated Classic Series. Here we will discuss some facts about the most seen movie:
1. It is the first ever animated movie made completely at Disney Studios in Florida.
2. At first Scar didn’t belong to Mufasa’s family but eventually to make the story more interesting, scary and emotional the bad guy was suggested to be someone from the family. So it was decided to make him Mufasa’s brother and a weird uncle for little Simba.
3. Originally in script, after his death, Mufasa never appeared again. But it was felt that Simba needs to see his father once more. So it was added to the last scene of the movie where Mufasa’s ghost appeared again to Simba.
4. After its release it was thought to be a blend of a famous Japanese animated series “Kimba The White Lion’. Simba and Kimba was the clear similarity in the names while both had an evil kind of uncle and a baboon as a spiritualist. The claim was cancelled because the widow of Osamu Tezuka considered this inspiration as an honor for her husband.
5. King of the Jungle was the initial title of the movie. For the reason that lions don’t live in jungle the name was changed.
6. Sean Connery was originally offered to voice Mufasa but after his disagreement James Earl Jones dubbed for Mufasa and Madge Sinclair for Sarabi. Both of them were also king and queen in ‘Coming to America’. Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong were the two to voice for Shenzi, Benzai and Hyenas but Whoopi Goldberg was casted for the role of Shenzi after Tommy’s refusal. Jeremy Iron was the voice for Scar.
7. With over 55 million copies sold, it became the bestselling video of all the times. 4.5 million tapes were sold on the first day. Its sound track is most sold ever soundtrack for over 10 million copies sold.
8. It would have taken over ten years to make the original Lion King movie if one computer and one man had been used. Total nine months were taken to convert the movie into 3D
9. Disney brought some baboons, vultures and lions into the studio to really understand their each and every movement and behavior. Some of the makers spent a couple of days on Safari in Kenya. They observed mothers and their cubs, big male cats sitting in the sun and hunting lions. Sketches and photos were made to create Simba and Nala.
10. Ranked as 35th biggest hit of all the times. this movie grossed $783 million all over the globe. Furthermore it was nominated for four Oscars but eventually won only two.